Jamaican Rice and Peas

By Kissyface454 - 1:10 PM







When I say this post is long overdue, that is not an exaggeration. I've been trying to complete this post for probably a year now, which is so sad, because another post might go up before this one. Maybe even two now that I think about it.


If ever asked, "who taught you how to make rice and peas?" I'll always say, "I just do what I saw my cousin Jerry did." Jerry would SEASON this life out of his rice and peas and it would always come ou so good! Nothing like I've ever tasted, next to my grandma of course. So this is my rendition of that. 




But I digress...


INGREDIENTS

2 cups of rice

1 can of red kidney beans in coconut milk 

3 cups of water

2 stalks of scallion 

1/2 stick of butter

1 scotch bonnet pepper

pimento seeds

chicken seasoning

(salt is optional since we're adding the chicken seasoning)




METHOD

  1. In a large stockpot, add all your ingredients except the rice. 
  2. When the water comes to a boil, add your rice, stir with a fork, and lower your stove to medium. We're pretty much following the white rice recipe I did a while back. Very simple. 
  3. When the water is at the level of the rice, reduce heat to low, stir again with a fork, and then cover. 
  4. Allow your rice to cook, checking on it every 20 min to see if it's cooked all the way through. It roughly takes about 30-45 min to cook all the way through. 
  5. Serve while hot with your favorite meat.



If parts of your rice are undercooked, put a CLEAN plastic bag, or foil paper, over the rice, and cook further. 


 


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments